Feel healthier in 24 hours
2:36PM, May 27 2014
Here’s your action plan to feel better by the end of the day.
Start your day right
Time: 9 hours
Research shows a good night’s sleep will increase your concentration, attitude and mood throughout the day (it also feels damn good too). Follow these three easy steps for the best sleep ever:
1. Don’t look at your phone when you’re in bed. The backlight will wake your mind up.
2. Shut your doors and blinds to make your room as dark as possible.
3. Download an app, like Sleep Cycle. It’ll wake you up during your lightest phase of sleep so you’ll get that refreshed morning feeling.
Instant energy boost
Time: 10 minutes
Starting your day with a yoga pose like the bridge is a top way to boost your energy. Begin on your back and press your feet hip-distant apart.
1. On your exhale, roll up slowly into a half-back bend. Keep your chin tucked into your throat and legs active.
2. Look towards the tip of your nose as you breathe deeply into your heart.
3. Breathe from the base of your body all the way up into your collarbone. Hold for 5-10 breaths.
“This gentle back bend will open your chest, lungs and strengthen your back muscles,” says yoga expert Charlotte Dodson.
Time: 10 minutes
Charlotte says Legs-Up-The-Wall pose (known by yogis as Viparita Karani) will give you a gentle boost of energy during the day in place of an arvo nap.
1. Lie on your back with your feet placed flat against the wall, knees bent at 90-degree angle.
2. Bring your hands to your chest, your heart, or down by your side. You can decide what’s more comfortable for you.
3. Keep your chin tucked into your throat, protecting the back of your neck and your shoulders rolling down towards the floor.
4. Your legs can roll-out naturally and knees can bend. (Let your body naturally come to an easy and comfortable place).
5. Hold and breathe deeply for 5-10 minutes.
6. To release, bend both knees and roll out to your right side.
For positive vibes
Time: 5 minutes
Charlotte’s easy meditation technique will bring on your zen:
1. Start by lying on your back. Bring your hands onto your chest and overlap them on top of your heart.
2. With your eyes closed and awareness focused upon your heart centre, ask yourself, “If my heart were to be planted, what would grow?”
3. Lay quietly, allowing whatever comes to mind for you – this could be the form of images, words or even colours. Be open to whatever appears, if anything.
4. Breathe deeply and naturally through both nostrils for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Take a few deeper breaths to finish, roll out to the right side, and up into a cross-legged posture.
Overnight shiny hair
Time: 9 hours
For your shiniest hair ever:
1. Apply hair oil to the ends your hair at bedtime.
2. Then, in the morning, spray a light-mist of shine spray to add an extra sheen and gloss. Voila! Shampoo-ad model hair is all yours.
“A nourishing hair masque is the magical key to all of your problems. The ingredients target damaged hair and will leave your strands silky and smooth,” says DOLLY beauty writer, Natalie.
Eat yourself healthy
Whether you’re feeling tired, experiencing the world’s biggest pimple or just feeling flat, follow this 24 hour eating plan from nutritionist Claudette Wadsworth.
1. Stimulate digestion: Drink half a lemon squeezed in a glass of warm water to stimulate your digestion.
2. Liver detox: Eat cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.
3. Increase muscle power: Drink a freshly squeezed beetroot juice half an hour before exercising for an energy boost.
4. Stop hungry pains: Skip the pasta and opt for quinoa. It is higher in nutrients and lower GI for longer-lasting energy and vitality throughout the day.
5. Cure breakouts: Munch on carrots, pumpkin and other orange vegetables. They contain betacarotene which helps heal acne-prone skin by the next day.
6. Clear eyes: Drink at least 2 L of water over the day to flush your body of toxins and leave you with clear glowing skin and sparkling eyes.
7. Tummy clam: Drink chamomile tea to calm your nerves, quieten an upset stomach or heartburn within minutes.